Eggplant Salad with Sweet and Sour Dressing and Grana Crisp
- 3 eggplant, medium-sized, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100 gms celery finely chopped
- 100 gms firm green tomatoes, seeds removed and finely sliced
- 50 ml white wine vinegar
- 50 gms almond soaked and peeled, sliced and toasted
- 20 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- A handful basil leaves, shredded
- 200 gms Grana Padano, finely grated
- 3 tbs sesame seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fry the eggplant cubes in very hot oil, till they turn golden but not too soft. Keep them aside. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil, create lines of Grana Padano, about 4 inches long and 1 inch wide, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and bake till the dish turns golden. Let it cool and store in a dry area.
Add half the olive oil in a pan and saute the onion, celery and green tomatoes. Add flour and vinegar. Season with salt, pepper and sugar. Remove from the fire. Add eggplant cubes, basil leaves and almonds, and mix all ingredients well. At the centre of the plate create an eggplant salad disc with the help of a ring mould. Top it with the Grana Padano crisp.
Note:Grana Padano crisps can be made in advance and stay good for a few days if stored in a dry and airtight box. This works very well as a garnish over pasta as well.
By Chef Ritu Dalmia