Presentation of the Project
Theagricultural and food productionsector is playing an increasingly important role inEuropean politics. As well as representing one of the pillars of the community's economy, it may also be capable of absorbing new labour - young people - and new investments - in innovation, research and development - in order to become more competitive and to satisfy the ever more sophisticated and complex demands of consumers.
Agriculture, in fact, has to progress and advance not only in terms of the final characteristics of its products, but also with regard to its production processes in order to provide safe, high quality produce while also taking into account other factors of fundamental importance such as the environment and good animal husbandry.
Understanding this need for change, integrating concepts aimed at greaterethnicity,sustainabilityandmodernityin agriculture may render the entire sector more competitive and remunerative and therefore capable of attracting new blood and new ideas in a virtuous circle that benefits not only those working in the sector but also, and above all, consumers.
This value and these guarantees have been summarized and transmitted through the use ofPDO,PGIandTGSquality labelling with graphics and contents shared by all members of the European Union and assigned to high quality agricultural and food products.
If they are to perform their role in distinguishing specific products, information relating to European quality marks needs to be transmitted correctly to consumers.
ThisProgramme of Promotion and Informationhas been established byAgriform SCAwithin this context.
The products featured in the programme are:
- Grana Padano PDO
- Parmigiano Reggiano PDO
- Piave PDO
- Asiago PDO (in Fresco and Stagionato versions)
- Montasio PDO
- Pecorino Toscano PDO
The programme will have a duration of three years - from 2015 to 2018 - and will be undertaken in the following extra-European countries: Russia, Egypt, Libya, Algeria, India and the United Arab Emirates.
It has the following objectives:
- To reinforce the competitiveness of European agricultureon the markets in question through the use of widely known and appreciated showcase products that will permit the presentation of more precise information and knowledge.
- To spread knowledgeof the European quality systems: recognisability of the community quality logos (graphic image) and their meaning, function and implications in terms of quality, authenticity and food safety through the practical example of the excellence of the showcase products.
- To stimulate and increase appreciationof the programme’s showcase products and all high quality European agricultural and food products.
- To help to counter the increasingly widespread phenomena of food production piracy, permitting consumers to make more informed and educated choices.
- To contribute to the development of new markets.
TheAgriform SCA Programmewill be developed through a series of events and initiative including public relations events, conferences, publications in the print media, on the Internet and on radio and television, encounters with operators in the sector and with consumers and the distribution of information material.